Terms and Conditions
The following terms and conditions are designed to provide a clear and simple framework within which we can work together. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to get in touch so I can provide clarity and reassurance.
- These terms and conditions apply to any work done for the Client (you) by the me (Cally Worden of Enigma Editorial).
- The Client is under no obligation to offer the me work; neither am I under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
- The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by the me, using my own equipment.
- I confirm that I am self-employed, am responsible for my own income tax and National Insurance contributions, and will not claim benefits granted to the Client’s employees (where applicable).
- I confirm that I am not registered for VAT.
- I will provide work as mutually agreed with, and confirmed in writing by, the Client.
- The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, both supplied by the Client.
- If, however, on receipt of the item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline, or decline to carry out the work.
- Similarly, if, during the term of the my work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline, or decline to undertake such additional tasks.
- Prior to commencing work the Client and I will agree, in writing, to additional terms specific to the project including, but not limited, to:
- the medium in which the service will be carried out (e.g. in Word, on PDF, on paper)
- how the material will be annotated (e.g. Track Changes in Word, BSI correction symbols on paper)
- the length of time required to complete the project, as advised by me
- a fee for the project, based on a quotation supplied by me, in writing, following my evaluation of the material to be worked on and the time frame required to complete the job
- any expenses (e.g. postage) that the Client will bear in addition to the costs of the work
- the date by which the material will be delivered by the Client to me
- the latest date by which the completed project will be returned, following my advice to the Client
- Within one month of completion of the project I will respond to one follow-up email from the Client containing any queries about the completed work. Any further or additional requests for work will be treated as a new project.
Quotation and Fees
- A quotation for the work will be provided by me to the Client following my evaluation of a representative sample of the materials to be worked on, and a discussion with the Client as to what is required.
- Once the Client and I have agreed the full fee, it is non-negotiable and subject only to change if the Client wishes to extend the word count of the job or requests additional services. In this instance a revised quotation and completion date for the work will be negotiated.
- The Client will pay me a fee per 1,000 words OR per hour OR an agreed flat fee for the project, as agreed in writing.
- For projects with a total fee in excess of £250 the Client will pay a deposit of 30% prior to commencement of work by me. Projects with a total fee of £250 or less do not require a deposit, and an invoice for the full fee will be issued upon completion of the work.
- Deposit invoices are payable upon receipt by the Client, and shall be issued by me following the Client’s written agreement to the full fee.
- Where a deposit is required, the agreed project schedule will not be fixed until that deposit is received.
- All deposits are non-refundable.
- Unless otherwise agreed I will supply the Client with a final invoice for the project immediately upon return of the completed work to the Client.
- For lengthy projects I may invoice periodically for completed stages, as agreed in advance with the Client.
- Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, all payments will be made within 30 days of receipt of the my invoice, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
- Both the Client and I have the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- This Client is free to cancel a service for any reason by providing me with written notice (including email); I must acknowledge this cancelation in writing (including email) for this to be valid.
- The Client will remain obligated to pay a fee proportionate to the amount of work already completed (if any) if this amount is larger than any deposit paid.
- I may cancel a service at any time for any reason by providing written notice (including email) to the Client. In the unlikely event that I cancel a service, I will provide a prorated refund of any overages of fees paid (including the deposit).
- If, in the unlikely event that the Client is touched by extraordinary or difficult circumstances that cause cancellation or delay (e.g. family crisis, illness etc.), the Client should contact me to discuss the terms of the cancellation policy. I aim to be fair and helpful at all times.
- If I am touched by similar extraordinary or difficult circumstances that cause cancellation or delay, I will contact the Client in writing at the earliest opportunity and do my best to renegotiate the time frame of the project or find an alternative supplier of services.
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without prior written permission.
- I will not, under any circumstances, upload the Client’s files to external websites or distribute them to third parties unless specifically authorized to do so, in writing, by the Client.
- Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, the Client and I may keep on record such information (e.g. contact details) as is necessary. Either may view the other’s records to ensure that they are relevant, correct and up to date.
- All content delivered to me by the Client for the project is owned by the Client.
- In this respect, the Client agrees to hold me harmless from and against all claims, liabilities and expenses arising out of any potential or actual copyright or trademark misappropriation or infringement claimed against them.
- Following payment of my final invoice any content created by me as part of my work for the Client will become the copyright of the Client, unless otherwise agreed in writing.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both the Client and I agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.